Contemporary Conversations: Great ARTdoors Artists in Dialogue
- Event Date: Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- Time: 7:00 pm (CDT)
- Location: Knight Auditorium, Spurlock Museum, 600 S. Gregory St., Urbana, IL
- Cost: Free
The Great ARTdoors program was created during the height of the pandemic in summer 2020 to support local arts and culture. It was also created with the belief that public art has the ability to visually and intellectually activate spaces by connecting people and sparking dialogue.
Join participating artists from the Great ARTdoors in conversation about their amazing works currently on view at Champaign and Urbana public parks. Inspired by nature, the environment, the complex lives of everyday people, and much more, these works of art encourage an examination and celebration of human creativity, resiliency, and community.
These in-person programs take place at the Spurlock Museum at 7:00 pm CDT on Wednesday, September 22 and Thursday, October 7.
The Great ARTdoors is organized by the Spurlock Museum, the Urbana Park District, the Champaign Park District, the Urbana Arts and Culture Program, and 40 North.
Contemporary Conversations instigates conversations around contemporary cultural issues, themes, and ideas. These are mostly moderated conversations with a panel of experts, practitioners, and enthusiasts. The discussions are informal and aim to provide space to explore timely themes.
Participating artists, sculpture titles, and park locations:
- Keenan Daily, Black Love | Skelton Park, Champaign
- Michael Darin, Sprout | Citizen Park, Champaign
- Kinsey Fitzgerald, Mother and Child | formerly Chief Shemauger Park, now Spurlock Museum
- Charlie Wisseman, Prayer Wheels | Randolph Street Community Gardens, Champaign
- K Hieronymus W, Pod No. 7 | Lierman Neighborhood Community Garden, Urbana
Co-sponsored by: 40North, Urbana Park District, Champaign Park District, and Urbana Arts and CultureAdd Event to CalendarAdd to Calendar