Plaster Cast of Greek Inscription: Dedication at Olympia
|Artifact Identification||Plaster Cast of Greek Inscription: Dedication at Olympia (1900.11.0100)|
|Period/Date||Classical, 480 - 475 BCE|
|Dimension 1 (Length)||56.0 cm|
|Dimension 2 (Width)||18.3 cm|
|Dimension 3 (Depth)||3.5 cm|
|Measuring Remarks||Weighed with wire and mounting.|
|Munsell Color Information||waived|
The engraving is the stoichedon style of ancient Greek inscriptions in which the letters are in alignment vertically as well as horizontally and are placed at equal intervals along their respective alignment. The letters are between ?? and ?? m. in height. They are easily read from the photographs and transliterated into the Latin alphabet below with:
See also 1900.11.0101 Compare the many inscribed statue bases from Olympia in Dittenberger and Purgold 1896 and the inscription on the statue base of the plaster cast of the bronze charioteer from Delphi, 1912.02.0006.
Dittenberger, Wilhelm and Karl Purgold. 1896. Die Inschriften von Olympia. Olympia. Die Ergebnisse der von dem deutschen Reich veranstalteten Ausgrabung. Edited by Ernst Curtius and Friedrich Adler, vol. 5. Berlin, no. 630 and 631. Hanson, P. A. Carmina Epigrapahica Graeca saeculi VIII–V a. Chr. n. Berlin, 1983, 380. Hill, G. F., R. Meiggs, and A. Andrewes. 1962. Sources for Greek History between the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars. Oxford, 320, no. 100 Jeffery, Lilian H. 1961. The Local Scripts of Archaic Greece. Oxford = Jeffery, Lilian H., and A. W. Johnston. 1990. The Local Scripts of Archaic Greece. Revised edition with a supplement. Oxford, 160–61, 169 no. 19, 211, and 215 no. 20. Roberts, Ernest S. 1887. An Introduction to Greek Epigraphy Part 1. Cambridge, 114–15, nos. 80–81, 277. Available on Google books.com.
|Reproduction Information||Original marble of all three inscriptions on the base is in the Olympia Museum, nos. 23, 28; 30, 12. Produced by Berlin Museum staff from casts made at Olympia, Greece along with other casts as well as a selection of duplicate artifacts from the German excavations.|