Spurlock participates in Welcoming Week 2017
- Post Date9/22/2017
- AuthorKim Sheahan
- Reading Time2 minute read
The Spurlock Museum is pleased to be participating in Welcoming Week 2017, a national celebration of the growing movement of communities that fully embrace new Americans and their contributions to the social fabric of our country. Created by YMCA of the USA’s (Y-USA) national partner Welcoming America, Welcoming Week brings together immigrants and U.S.-born residents to promote cross-cultural understanding and raise awareness of the benefits of welcoming everyone!
Spurlock Welcoming Week Events
Spurlock’s Welcoming Week-related events include:
- a craft afternoon in collaboration with Krannert Center's Ellnora Guitar Festival on September 16,
- a performance by musician and composer Jason Finkelman on September 24 at 1:00 pm,
- an International Fair on October 1 from 1:00 pm to 3:30 pm, and
- walking tours focusing on UIUC cultural centers between 1:00 pm and 3:30 pm on October 8.
All of these events are free. Learn more about these events on our events page.
More About Welcoming Week
During Welcoming Week, local governments, businesses, non-profits, social services agencies, community organizations, and individuals host events to celebrate diversity and foster community cohesion. The goals are to:
- Bring together newcomers and longstanding residents
- Stand in solidarity with vulnerable communities
- Help communities move beyond divisiveness and fragmentation.
Almost 40 events are being held in the Champaign-Urbana area during September and early October.
Welcoming Week Champaign County is a part of the University YMCA’s New American Welcome Center Initiative. For more information and to see the local event calendar, visit the University YMCA New American Welcome Center (external link).
For more information and to find a way you can participate through social media, visit the YMCA's national Welcoming Week initiative (external link).