The Great ARTdoors
- Location:Champaign/Urbana Parks
The past year has brought about challenges that no one among us could have predicted. After months and months of uncertainty, unrest, and immeasurable loss, we are moving toward a time of recovery, healing and unity. As we all search for ways to build back, the power of art can once again be channeled to create vibrancy, amplify voices, and provide refuge – with this type of revitalization in mind, the Great ARTdoors, a collaboration between the Spurlock Museum, the Urbana Park District, the Champaign Park District, the Urbana Arts and Culture Program, and 40 North, is kicking off a new cycle of awarding selected local artists stipends to create outdoor art installations in several Champaign and Urbana parks and community gardens. This program is once again guided by the belief that public art has the ability to visually and intellectually activate outdoor spaces by connecting people and sparking dialogue. This project is also committed to supporting local artists, prioritizing underserved communities, and ensuring accessibility for all. The selected pieces will remain on display through October 31.
Artists and Locations:
- Greg Stallmeyer | Melt - Chief Shemauger Park (1001 E Kerr Ave, Urbana)
- Kim Curtis | Harvest - Weaver Park (2205 E Main St, Urbana)
- Mohan Tracy | Waiting to Fly - Crystal Lake Park (901 N. Broadway, Urbana)
- EKAH | Entre Chien et Loup (Between Dog and Wolf) - South Ridge Park (3008 S Myra Ridge Dr, Urbana)
- K Hieronymus W | Pod No. 7 - Lierman Neighborhood Community Garden (Washington & Lierman, Urbana)
- Gary Beaumont | Planetary Platters - Beardsley Park (1006 N. Walnut St, Champaign)
- Michael Darin | Sprout - Citizen Park (1311 Garden Hills Dr, Champaign)
- Charlie Wisseman | Prayer Wheels - Randolph Street Community Gardens (1001 N Randolph St, Champaign)
- Keenan Daily | Black Love - Skelton Park (101 E. Washington St, Champaign)
- Judy Lee | (C3H4O2)n - Douglass Park (512 E. Grove St, Champaign)
Another element of the Great ARTdoors is the outdoor community gallery. Community members are encouraged to be creative by transforming their windows, balconies, porches, yards, and neighborhoods into art that expresses their thoughts and feelings. This outdoor gallery inspires neighbors to further explore their neighborhoods while maintaining social distancing guidelines. Please share images of your creations on all social media platforms using hashtag #cuARTdoors.
The Great ARTdoors is organized by the Spurlock Museum, the Urbana Park District, the Champaign Park District, the Urbana Arts and Culture Program, and 40 North.