Since mid-March 2020, the Spurlock Museum has been closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Given that instruction at the University of Illinois has resumed (although largely in virtual format), the Spurlock plans to reopen in a reduced capacity during our regular hours beginning September 8, 2020 so that the Museum can continue to be a resource for students, faculty, staff, and the broader community.
We will return to our normally scheduled hours.
- Tuesday 12:00–5:00 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00 am–5:00 pm
- Saturday 10:00 am–4:00 pm
- Sunday 12:00–4:00 pm
We will continue to evaluate trends in visitation and may reduce hours based on the data. No advanced reservations are required for most visitors at this time.
New Visit Procedures
We've changed some policies and added new ones to help keep you and our staff safe.
- Our entrance has moved. Use the glass entryway closest to the bike rack and parking lot to enter the Museum. The previous main entrance is now exit-only. Signage has been posted nearby.
- Face masks are required to be worn by everyone age 2 and older. Disposable masks will be provided if you forget your mask. If you are unable to wear a mask due to medical issues, you will be required to wear a face shield. Unfortunately, if you are not able to wear a mask or face shield (in the instance of a medical issue), you will not be able to enter the Museum.
- You will be required to provide your name and contact information at the Information Desk upon entering the Museum in case contact tracing is needed. You can provide this information verbally or write it on a slip of paper. Contact information will be securely stored.
- 40 visitors will be allowed in the Museum at a time due to our new capacity in adhering to social distancing measures. Security and Visitor Services staff will keep track of the number of visitors in each gallery and promote social distancing and continued cooperation with University policies.
- No advanced reservations are required for groups of 4 or fewer at this time.
- If you plan to visit in a group of 5 or more, we encourage you to book your visit in advance.
- We require that you follow other state and University Covid-19 guidelines (external link), including not entering the building if feeling ill.
All of these protocols are subject to modification due to the constantly evolving COVID-19 pandemic situation. The Spurlock will be following all updated University of Illinois protocols, and monitoring Illinois and CDC guidance.
- Our events and programs are only online until further notice. We’ll be using Zoom, Facebook (external link) video, and other platforms to connect with you safely. Visit our events page for listings.
- The auditorium is available for rental events, but event hosts must abide by all University guidelines, including: reduced occupancy with seating chart provided by University, only prepackaged catering, storing names and contact info for tracing, mask wearing, etc.
- Building Service Workers (BSWs) clean the Museum multiple times per day. Facilities and Services maintains an updated list of all areas they clean throughout the day.
- Museum staff will assist with additional cleaning of high touch services.
- The restrooms are cleaned twice a day.
- The Information Desk will be disinfected with every shift change of staff.
- Door handles will be disinfected each evening upon closing.
- Museum staff can help disinfect any surfaces you feel need attention.
Other Safety Procedures
In addition to increased cleaning, we have also made additional changes to help keep you safe.
- 6 hand sanitizing stations have been placed throughout the Museum.
- Over the past few months, essential Museum staff have deep cleaned the Museum, including all surfaces, floors, and cabinetry.
- We have moved the Information Desk to a position that works with the new exit/entrance flow. Tape and floor decals, in addition to furniture, direct visitors on where they should stand to check in and where they should wait, in the event a line has formed. There are also signage and floor decals to promote social distancing, to inform visitors about new guidelines and protocols, and to direct visitors to hand sanitizing stations.
- All interactive elements, flip books with exhibit information, and reusable educational materials have been removed to reduce the number of “touch surfaces.”
- Only single use materials will be provided to visitors.
- There will be no tours for groups larger than 5.
- Only 40 visitors will be allowed in the Museum at a time. This number is 4% of our pre-Covid allowable occupancy, and only 25% of allowable occupancy WITH social distancing measures in place.
Comparison of gallery and museum capacities pre-Covid and with social distancing measures in place. Spaces are listed in each row of the first column. Hours of operation. Museum spaces are listed in each row of the first column. Normal capacity is listed in the second column, and reduced capacities are listed in the third column. Room Max Visitors Allowed (Normal Capacity) Max Visitors Allowed (with Social Distancing) Lobby and Campbell Gallery 219 18 Central Core 225 25 Americas Gallery 211 20 Ancient Mediterranean Gallery 120 26 Africa/Mesopotamia/Egypt Gallery 165 25 Asia/Oceania Gallery 207 17 Europe Gallery 165 33 Entire Museum 820 164 (* voluntarily limited to 40)